Marriage Information

For a woman to change her surname when she gets married is her own personal choice. Upon marriage the only two options available to the woman that do not require a Deed Poll are:

  • Continue using your maiden name, or
  • Change your surname to your husband’s surname.

Double-Barrelled Surnames

Should either or both of the couple decide to have a double-barrelled surname a Deed Poll is required.

Although some companies and organisations may change their records to show a double-barrelled name upon presentation of the marriage certificate, many will not, particularly the financial institutions.

Using our Deed Poll service will ensure that the name you choose is accepted by everyone without question.

To find out about Maiden and Middle names, click the ‘next’ button ...